Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sandwich... Seems Harmless

I ate a sandwich. I knew it would make me sick but I did it anyways. A month of making my son sandwiches finally wore on my will power. Oh, how I miss soft and chewy bread!

All weekend I have been eating gf rice noodle soup and snacking on naturally gf foods like carrots and cheese, nuts, fish, rice....etc.

My First Review!

Wildflour Bakery on Main St. in Decatur. They say they offer gluten free items.. Not really though. I went in with high hopes because it has been said that the owners have friends that are gluten intolerant. It was HEAVEN. Huge homeade croissants stuffed with feta and spinach, Turkey and Swiss stuffed Croissants. Beautiful cookies, Wonderfully soft and chewy looking breads, To Die For Cakes. You name it, they had it. So I asked the lady behind the counter if they had anything gluten free. She got another lady who explained to me that they can order it for me and call me when it comes in but that to tell me the truth the brownies and other gf stuff they have available to order are embarrassingly small servings and VERY expensive. My high hope balloon quickly deflated. Here I was surrounded by things I love but couldn't have. All of a sudden I was mad and frustrated about my situation. They showed me the only gf thing they had in stock at the bakery. Death By Chocolate. Its a fudgy cakey type dessert made of only sugar, eggs, and butter. Chocolate too, of course. Problem was it wasn't labeled gf and it was in the display case on the same dish as some type of gluteny lemon cake bars. I got it anyways because I am not so bad that cross contamination makes me sick. I can tell when I have eaten something cross contaminated but it is short lived and sometimes I feel it is worth it. Especially when I HAD to buy something in there and it was either the stuffed croissant or the contaminated fudgey bar thingy. Bottom line is... this is a wonderful, homey yummy bakery! Try it if you can eat gluten, you will be pleasantly surprised. However, if you need a gluten free baked good do it yourself. I really really loved Betty Crocker gf Brownie Mix. It tasted like regular brownies! I also like Udi's new cookies, they are 7 bucks for 10 very small cookies but the Snickerdoodles are delicious.

I am making Spaghetti and Meatballs tonight. Didn't have time to get my Quinoa Pasta so I will be using Spaghetti Style Rice Noodles. I'm sure it will be great :)

2 comments:

  1. I really wish restaurants would be more aware of the dangers of cross contamination. And I agree, Betty Crockers gf brownies are really good, and I usually don't like box mixes, but these are yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. It amazes me that so many people that work in food service don't have a clue what gluten is. They think I mean glucose as in sugar and ask if I am diabetic. lol

    ReplyDelete