Monday, February 21, 2011

Corndog Breading Revealed

I want to first point out that I got this recipe from page 26 of this book...




The book offers a corn based recipe or a rice based recipe. I chose the one that I thought that I would like. Corn based. (CORN dogs, DUHHHH!)

INGREDIENTS

1 pound hotdogs
peanut or canola oil (for frying)

Batter

3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 TBL sugar
1/2 tsp Xantham Gum (I used Bobs Red Mill from Kroger... 11.99)
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 cup milk

Sidenote.. batter is very thin at first. Refrigerate it for an hour or so if you would like it to be thicker.

INSTRUCTIONS

*heat the oil, in a sauce pan or dedicated deep fryer. 370 degrees.

(i didnt take the temp, just put a tiny bit of batter into the oil and it is ready when there is a good bubbling going on but not fierce bubbling.)

*Place a popsicle stick lengthwise into each hotdog. Pat the hotdogs dry to remove excess moisture from their surface. Set aside.

(drying is important for the batter to coat correctly AND so that no water gets into the oil which can cause severe oil popping and spatter.. aka it will hurt you. badly. Also, I only had 2 popsicle sticks so I dipped the mini on the stick until batter looked formed and not runny at all then used a butter knife to slide mini off. Used a slotted spoon to recover minis from oil when they achieved the desired coloring)

*Mix together the ingredients for the batter in a medium bowl.

*One by one, coat the hotdogs with the batter. A rolling motion works well. Place in the hot oil and fry until golden, 3-4 minutes.

*Serve hot.




I used the leftover of this batter to coat the cheese sticks, although there is a recipe in the book for cheesestick batter on page 38. There was such little difference that I just added the spices it called for and Red Lobster Cheesesticks was where I got the idea for rolling them in parmesan. YUM.

*Spices I added to batter for cheese stick batter. A bunch of ground black pepper and cajun seasoning. To the parmesan I added a bit of seasoning salt. String cheese is the type of cheese I used. Any cheese sold in 'stick' form should work.

Try it, You WILL love it :)

1 comment: