Sunday, February 13, 2011

Steak and Cheese Omelet

My cabinet. Yes, only one. My apartment is huge but the kitchen is tiny. 90% of this stuff is GF. The other 10% is Ben's oatmeal and such....


Progresso Soups! They have 2 GF Clam Chowders, too. All very good and filling. I find the best selection at Kroger. BTW, the Shake and Bake in the background is not GF, but it was my fave and I can't throw it away yet. The Hungry Jack Pancake Mix isn't GF either. It's Ben's.
For my sweet tooth. These are small. Very small and 6-7 dollars a container. I like the Snickerdoodle ones the best. Got this at Kroger. They are by the deli.


Really Good! But not as good as my Cinnamon Chex. Got this at Kroger.



Love these! They are not light and crispy like a Ritz, but they are as close as you may get with GF crackers. Got these at Cub Foods. The flash is obscuring the brand name, it's Glutino.



Now for my Steak and Cheese Omelet.

Ingredients. Omit the mozzarella cheese and add a thin slice of Muenster instead. This was a last minute change. Any cheese that you love would be great.


Hot Olive Oil for veggies and eventually SteakUm.


SteakUms are super THIN. I used 2.



Super Duper THIN.


Veggies. Always start them in a hot pan. To check the temp of the pan, hold your hand about an inch above the pan while its heating and when you think it is too hot to stay like that much longer, its ready. OR throw one little piece of chopped onion in there and see if it sizzles a little.


Veggies ready, starting SteakUms. These cook Super Fast!


Warm a pan and spray with PAM spray. Get the eggs going. I added a pinch of salt while i was beating them, a bunch of coarse, fresh ground pepper and chives while they were cooking. I didn't put the chives in to cook with the mushrooms and onions because if you overcook fresh herbs, you lose a LOT of flavor.



Pile it up to keep it warm while eggs are cooking. I added a thin slice of muenster cheese at this point (not pictured) so that the cheese would be nice and melty when I added it to the egg. Shredded isn't as hard to melt so I probably would have just put shredded cheese on the egg before the meat and veggies.


You can't tell really well but I was tilting the pan to let the uncooked egg run to the outside of the pan after I moved the cooked edges towards the middle.


The SteakUms are VERY GREASY. I used a wide spatula and scooped it in one swoop onto a paper towel to take some of the grease off.


Then I just turned the paper towel over and dropped the meat, cheese, and veggies onto the middle of the egg.



Here comes the rolling of the omelet! Slow is the key.



Plate over Pan and quickly turn so that the pan is over the plate. Or roll it out. This was too heavy to roll out of the pan without breaking, so I resorted to the risky way... lol


Of course, no meal is complete without tripping over a curious Ben the whole time. :) No, Ben wouldn't eat this either..... lol


















No comments:

Post a Comment