Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Guest Blogger Stephanie!

The importance of staying away from gluten even in your bath and beauty products.

Did you know that 1 in 133 people have Celiac disease? Celiac disease affects the lining of the small intestines. In people with Celiac, when gluten is ingested, the villi in the small intestine are damaged by the protein that is in wheat, oats, rye, and barley. The small intestines are where you absorb your nutrients. Even a tiny amount (bread crumb size) will damage the villi. You may not have symptoms from this tiny amount, but the damage is still occurring. That being said, your soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and lip balm should all be gluten free. But, I don't eat shampoo or soap you say? True. But, when you wash your hair you are bound to get some water in your mouth that has possible shampoo residue in it. Lip Balm or lip stick especially need to be gluten free. You lick your lips with that stuff on them. If you are anything like me, you will want whatever is on your lips to be natural AND gluten free. :)

I make homemade soaps and lip balms that are all natural and gluten free.








My oatmeal soap is made with certified gluten free oats.



Don't risk it. Go gluten free all the way! You can find my products on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Wiseley-Used-Herbs/193102270706764


My Celiac story...Back in 08 I started getting fed up with how I was feeling. I had been eating basically all natural for years, but I still didn't feel well. I was bloated, constipated, my intestines hurt when I walked, I was irritable, my appetite was horrible, and I lived in brain fog. I started to investigate. After much research, I was sure I had at least gluten intolerance so I quit the gluten for 1 week. I actually went through gluten withdrawal for 3 days. I had the shakes, headaches, and a roaring appetite! After 3 days, my body settled down and I noticed I was not bloated anymore. I was thinking clearer and less irritable. I also noticed that my intestines for the first time in a long time, didn't hurt when I walked. I decided to get checked officially. In order to do that, once you have been off gluten for at least a week, you have to start eating it again in order to not skew the test. I was blessed with a doctor who didn't feel it necessary to have a biopsy done of the small intestine. She did a Celiac panel (blood work) and it came back positive. That along with the symptoms being relieved by not eating gluten, she diagnosed me with Celiac. That was two years ago and I haven't looked back since. I have felt so much better!

The hard part is trusting restaurants with your health. They don't realize that cross contamination can cause us damage. Be diligent with your health. Make sure they understand the issue. Also, you need to be careful at home! You cannot share a toaster with someone who eats gluten, you cannot share plastic or wooden kitchen utensils that have touched gluten noodles, bread, etc, you cannot share cast iron pans used for gluten unless you re-season them, and you cannot share a non-stick pan that has been used for gluten. Stainless steel is safe and also items that are designated just for gluten free.

Be careful, stay healthy, be diligent, and be gluten free! :)


Stephanie

helpmeet to a wonderful husband for 14 yrs
blessed mom to one son
"semi" homesteader
homeschooler

No comments:

Post a Comment